WELCOME TO THE APRIL ISSUE
THE FMB APPOINTS BRIAN BERRY AS CHIEF EXECUTIVE
Derek Bostock, National President of the FMB said: “I’m delighted that Brian Berry has agreed to take on the role as the FMB’s first Chief Executive. He has an excellent track record in the construction sector having worked for the Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors (RICS) and more recently as Director of External Affairs at the FMB. His achievements speak for themselves having quadrupled the FMB’s media profile and ensuring that the FMB is listened to seriously within Government and the built environment sector.
“As the construction sector continues to face tough times the FMB continues to work hard for its members to ensure that the range of services that we offer is the very best in the market. It’s more important than ever that small building companies have the expertise and single voice that the FMB is able to offer them. Brian’s background makes him ideally suited to achieving our aim to transform the FMB into a highly professional trade association.” Commenting on his appointment Brian Berry said: “Leading the UK’s largest trade association in the building industry is an exciting challenge. The FMB’s drive towards becoming a professional trade association is something that I’m very committed to as it will help ensure that FMB members are recognised as the best in the building industry. The FMB’s application to become a Competent Person Scheme operator
will be the first milestone on this journey as will be the complete review of how FMB delivers its services to members.” Read more in Brian's article
THE FMB STILL LEADS COMPETITORS ON MEDIA COVERAGE
During 2011 the FMB received 2129 media cuttings, including 26 articles in national newspapers and features on BBC One Breakfast, ITV News, Radio 4 Today and Radio 5 Live, not to mention a high volume of coverage in local media.
The FMB was mentioned in more than two articles in trade press each week too. If the FMB had paid for this coverage is would have cost more than £3million; however through media relations and editorial the FMB received all this coverage for free. On average each month during 2011 just over 11 million people will have seen, heard or read about the FMB. 66 percent of the coverage the FMB received was positive and the remaining 34 percent was neutral or balanced. The FMB received a 53 percent share of voice versus 47 percent from all its competitors added together!
GET MORE INVOLVED WITH THE FMB
If you don’t already have one, download a copy of the FMB’s participation pack which has been designed to help FMB members get more involved in the FMB’s campaigning and lobbying activities. It also contains information on publicising your campaigning and lobbying work as well as how to make the most of online communications.
FMB SOCIAL MEDIA
The FMB is also active on social media with: