VAT on all housing renovation and repair work should be reduced from 20% to 5%.
This targeted VAT cut would bring with it a huge number of economic, social and environmental benefits.
The Cut the VAT Coalition started with just a handful of supporters and we now have more than 60 charities, trade associations and business groups backing the campaign, as well as countless individuals and well-known celebrities. Since work began, the EU has changed the law to allow member states to permanently reduce VAT to a minimum of 5% in this area and almost half of the member states are currently enjoying some form of reduced rate in order to support economic growth.
Join us in calling on the UK Government to cut VAT on housing renovation and repair to 5% in order to:
- Reduce the cost of living;
- Create greener and warmer homes;
- Boost economic growth;
- Bring empty homes back in to use to help stem the housing crisis
- Significantly increase employment opportunities and apprenticeships;
- Reduce the number of rogue traders working in the construction industry.
It is important to know that there are a few areas of work where a VAT registered builder would not have to charge VAT at 20%. Find out more.