The government is working with the Federation of Master Builders and other trade associations to ensure the building industry is prepared for Brexit.

Those in the construction industry will see changes following our exit from the EU, as after October 31, you can expect to see a UKCA mark appearing on products.

The government recently published updated guidance setting out actions for firms that manufacture and sell construction products within the UK and EU. However, it is important that all builders who use these products are aware of the changes in legislation and what this will mean for the marking of construction products. 

What does this mean and how will this affect builders?

The changes we have made will allow you to continue with business as normal.

We have published legislation that would apply in the event of a ‘no deal’ Brexit. This legislation will mirror the EU Construction Product Regulations 2011. 
It means all existing European ‘harmonised standards’ (or rules) will now become UK ‘designated standards’ so there will be no change to the rules required for construction products imported from the EU. They can still be placed on the UK market displaying the CE mark.

There will be no change to the standards of products on the market either, as UK authorities will still be able to remove non-compliant products from the market.

The key thing for builders to know is that after 31 October, UK-based notified bodies will be assigning the new ‘UKCA’ marking for products aimed at the UK market instead of the existing CE marking.

As the UK leaves the EU, UKCA-marked construction products will be identical to those with CE marking. The Government will continue to recognise goods that have complied with EU requirements and display the CE marking for a limited period.

For further information on any of these processes, or about other issues, you can apply to attend of the Government’s Brexit Business Readiness Events in your area here or do have another read of the guidance on 

Chandru Dissanayeke

Director of Building Safety Reform, Ministry of Housing, Communities and Local Government