The construction sector contributes £8.5 billion to the Scottish economy, and supports more than 170,000 jobs. It is also central to delivering on Scotland’s climate change ambitions.
The next Scottish Government must back the building industry by bringing forward on five key policies:
- Establish a VAT reimbursement fund for home repair, maintenance and energy efficiency improvements
- Invest more in vocational skills training to ensure that building companies have access to skilled labour
- Simplify the tendering process to make public sector construction contracts more accessible for SMEs
- Reform the planning system to enable more SME house builders to build more of our homes
- Set out a clear programme of public sector maintenance and construction projects for the next 5 years
Construction generates £2.94 for every £1 invested. The next Scottish Government should back building firms to support the skills and capacity that will be key to Scotland’s economic recovery.
Download the report