What's it all about?
As part of an ongoing partnership, the FMB and Volunteer it Yourself are working together on a community refurbishment project at The Dublin Castle (Camden), 94 Parkway NW1 7AN. Volunteer It Yourself (VIY) is a non-profit that teaches young people trade skills by helping them fix up and repair community buildings. Young people are mentored by professional tradespeople and work towards City & Guilds qualifications as well as progression pathways into construction.
The Dublin Castle is an important venue in the rich musical history of Camden. Over the last 30 years it has hosted an array of well known artists, ranging from Blur to Amy Winehouse. Now along with a group on young people willing to learn, VIY need your help bringing it back to life.
The project will begin on 17 January 2022 and run for 3 weeks and you can give as little or as much time as you can.
What will be the role of FMB members?
FMB members will work alongside and serve as skills mentors for young people on site, with their roles to include:
- Mentoring and teaching young people involved in the project in their specific trade.
- Providing advice and support to VIY Lead Mentors on site in their areas of expertise.
- Carrying out elements of building work outlined in the scope of works that cannot be youth-led.
- Ensuring building works are carried out safely and to a high standard.
- Contributing in any other ways as befitting their expertise, with several members taking on leading roles for a majority of the project duration.
- Assisting with facility improvements that couldn’t be included in VIY’s scope of work but would be of benefit to the venue.
How can I get involved?
You can also read about the most recent FMB supported VIY project in Sutton to convert a disused former high street bank to the Sound Lounge - a café and plant-based kitchen by day and a grassroots community music venue by night.