For more than 30 years, the FMB's State of Trade Survey has monitored key indicators and predicted future short-term developments in the UK construction industry. It is the only survey of its kind to focus exclusively on small and medium-sized (SME) firms throughout the construction sector. The survey is dispatched to the entire membership every quarter. Between 200 and 300 responses are received and they are weighted according to the number of employees.
Key findings from the FMB State of Trade Survey for Q2 2021 include:
- Workloads and enquiries are at their highest levels for a decade
- 71% of builders are receiving higher numbers of enquiries for future work, compared to Q1 2021
- 53% of builders are struggling to hire carpenters/joiners, and 47% are struggling to hire bricklayers
- 98% of builders are facing material price rises, with the same number expecting this to continue into Q3 2021
- 80% of respondents have been forced to raise their prices in the past quarter
Download the latest State of Trade survey below. Previous reports are also available for download.