Tracking developments in the UK construction industry
For more than 30 years, the FMB's State of Trade Survey has monitored key indicators and predicted future short-term developments in the UK construction industry. It is the only survey of its kind to focus exclusively on small and medium-sized (SME) firms throughout the construction sector. The survey is dispatched to the entire membership every quarter. Between 300 and 400 responses are received and they are weighted according to the number of employees.
Key findings from the FMB State of Trade Survey for Q2 2020 include:
- 1 in 2 builders (47%) reported increased workloads in the summer months;
- More than 2 in 5 (42%) predict higher workloads in the autumn;
- More than three quarters (78%) of builders said they expect material costs to increase over the next two months;
- Almost 1 in 5 (17%) SMEs is planning to increase the number of general labourers on site in the months ahead; and
- Almost 1 in 5 (16%) SMEs is planning to increase the number of specialist tradespeople on site.